Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 4

This morning we left our hotel around 7 am to get to Mount Rushmore. It was seriously incredible to see in person. Andrea and I are big losers and wanted to cry. I just thought it would make good ol' George, Tom, Teddy and Abe so happy to know that they are still so appreciated for making this country what it is, so many years later.

There really isn't much else that happened today. We drove through Wyoming. As soon as we crossed the border after leaving SD, WY had all of these old cars from like the 80s and earlier piled up in fields. It was so strange. Oh, and apparently half of the population lives in trailers. My mind was also blown by the construction! Some dumb young guy told me to "chill out" in my car while I was stopped for construction. I had to wait for a pilot car to come lead me and all of the other cars behind me out of the construction. The roads seemed fine, I thought it was completely unnecessary.

After about NINE hours, we finally got to Utah. We stopped for dinner at our first place we have managed to get to from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives called Ruth's Diner. We were so thrown off from all of the changes in elevation and so tired that we had to box more than half of our food. It was pretty good though. Now, we are in the process of driving to our hotel in Scipio where we can rest up before our last day of driving.

Since I'm bored in the car, he are some random thoughts, facts, etc. from throughout the day:
1. America runs on Dunkin...well I'm pretty sure the last one I saw may have been in Ohio. False advertising and I need some in my life soon.
2. We haven't paid a toll since we left PA, but may come to one soon on the road we are on now. Still, I probably pay around $30 just in a round trip from PA to Long Island.
3. I can't imagine how the people who grow up in SD, WY, etc. feel when they leave the state and go to a city. If I feel overwhelmed and panicky from the nothingness, they must feel 10x worse from all of the chaos.
4. Wyoming is just the worst state ever. I'm still so mad at all of the construction. Plus, how do people get mail there? Or go to school? Or get cable/wifi/cell service? Maybe this is just the dumb girl from Long Island in me who hasn't seen the world yet, but I can't believe such a different lifestyle, from people who aren't technically Amish, exists. I also have theories that inside all of those scenic mountains there are criminals hiding; murderers torturing and hiding bodies, crazy cults brainwashing children, some sort of underground drug trafficking, and all sorts of shady business. I mean really, who would know? I don't think anyone is checking up on them. Just some creepy thoughts I had...
5. This is the 11th state so far in our journey and depending on routes, we should drive through around 24.

Well that's it for today. My pictures aren't that great because I was in a car most of the day. Notice Andrea and I are wearing sweatshirts at Mount Rushmore...it was only around 60 degrees :)

1 comment:

  1. Obviously drug issues came to your mind lol

    ReplyDelete