Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 3

Today was day 3 of our adventure! We left St. Louis around 6:30 this morning. It seriously felt like it took forever to get out of Missouri. Then, we finally got to Iowa. We drove through Iowa for a little bit, then made a stop outside of Omaha, Nebraska for some BBQ for lunch and it was delicious! We have been kind of disappointed because we haven't really found anything we are into on the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives site, but we looked this place up on Urban Spoon (which has been really helpful) and it worked out great.

We were so sick of seeing corn, thank god we finally got to South Dakota for a change of scenery. Now, I always had this impression that SD wasn't a "real state." I guess being that it has less than a million people in population and is rather large, that's why I didn't think it was real...but the Great Plains are absolutely beautiful! I kept trying to take pictures but they really don't do any justice. I just absolutely love it but maybe its because there aren't people here and I don't like people. We stopped for two photo ops, one at Sioux Falls and one at an overlook point off of the highway. We finally made it to Wall at 8:00 Mountain time. We saw all of these signs on the highway for Wall Drug, which is this adorable little indoor mall that gives out free water. It had every gift and western related thing you can think of.

We just had dinner...and feel like we can't understand any of the people here and they don't understand us. I think I would do better attempting to speak Spanish to a native speaker at this point. It is seriously the most confusing accent I have ever heard.

So, I guess today wasn't too excited because it was mostly driving. Tomorrow we are heading to Mount Rushmore, driving through Wyoming, stopping in Salt Lake City and staying in Utah. I added some pictures, but you really can't tell how beautiful everything is and I kind of took a lot of pictures of the sky.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found the plains states to be interesting. I was ok with them until I got to nebraska... then I started to get super bored and very cabin-fevery. Also, northern colorado is the ugliest place on earth.

    any plans to come to vegas, aka, dumbest place on earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really just South Dakota that we were in love with. We didn't go to Colorado because when we were planning the trip, all of the wildfires were going on. We are going to Vegas for a night in the way back! It's crazy though because we are going to try to cram in all of the tourist-y things to do in one night.

      Delete
  2. "I just absolutely love it but maybe its because there aren't people here and I don't like people." Laughed out loud when I read this hahha

    ReplyDelete